Experiencing buyer’s remorse?

The world feels like its ending. Should we still be shopping?

Photo by Subropicalia

Don’t know about your computer, but our sidebars have been flooded with knitted co-ord sets, board shorts that scream “it’s Spring” and discounted plane flights.

We’d be lying to say these ads don’t catch our eyes, but shopping during these times feels unnecessary and self-indulgent. Shopping when people are losing their jobs, getting sick… (gulp) dying… it just all seems wrong.

But as we fill our online carts, we can’t help but think that spending is a vital part of a healthy economy. And we know this first hand — our mission is all about gathering. Our Zihua enterprise is propped up on tourism and hospitality, and the other half of our community is about creative expression. And although we can still create, this current state in time highly discourages (even forbids) gathering to witness these expressions. 

So how is your money actually the most useful right now?

In our opinion, if your income is not affected, go buy that strapless knit co-ord set for when you reunite again with the sandy shores of La Ropa. Buy someone that needs their day brighten a bouquet of flowers. Your contribution now helps keep small businesses afloat (as well as the team behind these small brands). And if you don’t have money, you can still support local businesses by liking, commenting or tagging your friends on their social channels. It might not seem a lot, but engagement creates awareness and it really does serve a value (especially in the world of algorithms). 

So to help some small businesses out, we’ve created a list of local businesses in CDMX and Zihua that need our support. Happy shopping (even if it’s just window shopping)!

Brands donating profits to relief efforts 

• 35s & 45s: This multidisciplinary creative agency has created a webshop where 100% of the proceeds will be going to photographers and djs impacted in these trying times. 75% goes directly to the photographer who’s work you purchase a print of —the remaining 25% is donated to a GoFundMe setup to aid the photographers and djs with no income, savings or support system.

Loly in the Sky: Shop for a cause! When you make a purchase of one of their shoe’s, your money goes to supporting the manufacturing of protective equipment for healthcare personnel.

Heart of darkness: Support people who take care of other people! Heart of Darkness is producing and giving away 100% cotton face masks using leftover fabrics that will be distributed to the people who work in the newsstands, little shops, markets, windshield wipers, street sweepers, garbage collectors, people and children who live on the street in Mexico City who can not afford to take time off work to quarantine. 

En Causa MX: This Mexican  home goods store is also a non-profit trading platform whose sales help provide food to vulnerable groups in the nearby community.

Small Businesses to Support: 

CLOTHES

Almirante @almiranteint
Cultura Tropical @cultura_tropical
Rumvo @rumvo.mex
Valeria Anastasia @valeriaanastasiaswim
Lo Esencial @loesencialmx
Subtropicalia @subtropicalia
Tony Delfino @tonydelfino

JEWELRY
Avocet @avocetjewelry
Cruzada @cruzadajewelry
Heavenly Silver @heavenlysilver

FLOWERS
Flor Caballero @_florcaballero_

SKINCARE
Aphotetic @aphotetic

MERCH
Las Bayadas @lasbayadas
La Barrére @_labarrere_
Playeras y Otras Prendas @playeras_otras_prendas

FOOD & BEVERAGES
Colab Cold Brew Cafe @colabcoldbrew

PRINTS
Be brave @bebravemx
Heiko Bothe @heikobothe

HANDCRAFTERSM.A.
@____m.a____